- Preparation Time:
Prep Time: 5 Minutes Cook Time: 20 Minutes
I’ve showed you a bunch of times that Cheese and Bacon go ridiculously well together. In fact, Andrew Back Bacon also recently posted an article dedicated solely to bacon and cheese recipes. I’ve also shown you on a couple of occasions that when bacon is paired with beer it’s also delicious, such as the Bacon Beer Bread recipe and the Tailgate Nachos recipe. Just recently I showed you, via the Bacon and Egg Cups of Awesomeness, that Bacon and Spinach is also an excellent combination (but I’m sure you knew that already, as well). What’s better than three awesome combinations? The combinations of THOSE combinations! Boo-Yah!
8 strips Maple Leaf Bacon
2 cloves Garlic
2 tbsp Flour
¼ cup Heavy Cream
½ cup Beer
150g Baby Spinach
¼ cup Sour Cream
1 cup Sharp Cheddar
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
Juice of ½ Lemon
Salt and Pepper
1. Chop up about 8 strips of bacon into ½ inch pieces. Put your blindfold on and fry them up in the bottom of a large pan until they’re crispy. Remove and set aside on paper towel when done. Yes, you should be able to do this with your eyes closed by now.
2. Dice up your shallots and garlic very fine and throw them into the pot with the rendered bacon fat. Fry these until they’re golden and soft. You might need to add a bit of butter or oil.
3. Take the pan off the heat and toss in your flour. Stir quickly so that the flour combines with the fat at the bottom of the pan. Again, add some oil or butter if necessary. This is just like the roux we made for the Bacon Poutine.
4. Once the flour is combined with the fat (I know it might be one big lump, don’t worry), add in your cream and beer. Stir until it has begun to thicken slightly.
5. Add in all of your spinach and stir that up. Yes. It will cook down significantly.
6. Shortly after ad your sour cream, cheddar, dijon and lemon juice and continue to stir.
7. Keep stirring until all of the spinach has wilted and everything is nice and thick.
8. Season with salt and pepper, and pour into a nice big serving bowl. Serve with chips, or big pretzels, or pita, or veggies or…