- Preparation Time:
Prep Time: 1hr Cook Time: 20mins
If you haven’t realized by now, I am a lovely down to earth Italian and I LOVE Italian food. Blame my mamma or my nonna (grandmother for those non-italian readers), you have probably noticed my Italian influence from my Pasta Recipe, bacon and eggs recipe, and obviously our Bruschetta recipe. I just love my Italian food! I decided I’d make another Italian recipe, a more traditional and more common Italian dish, Eggplant Parmigiana! I’ve had this meal as a dinner, lunch and even as a snack between my lunch and dinner.
Baconized Pasta Sauce:
14 Strips Maple Leaf Bacon
1 Vidalia Onion
1 ¼ cups White Wine
2 cans Italian Peeled Tomatoes (San Marzano, if possible) (28oz can)
1 cup Crushed Tomatoes
2 ½ tbsp Dried Oregano
Salt & Pepper
2 Medium Eggplants
3 tbsp Milk
3 cups Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
3 cups Baconized Pasta Sauce (recipe above)
2 cups Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1 (350 g) Package Mozzarella cheese, grated
1 bunch Fresh Basil
1. Fry bacon in pan until crispy in sauce pan. Remove
2. Fry finely diced onion and minced garlic in remaining fat until soft.
3. Add white wine, let reduce to half volume
4. Add in tomatoes, crushing by hand before putting in pot, as well as crushed tomatoes..
5. Add oregano and season with salt and pepper. Let simmer for at least 30min while you prep eggplant.
1. Cut eggplant into ¼” to ½” thick rounds
2. Beat eggs with milk
3. Dip eggplant into egg then into breadcrumbs, breading thoroughly
4. Fry breaded eggplant in vegetable oil until golden brown. Set aside to cool and dry on paper towel.
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F
2. In casserole dish, put a layer of sauce on the bottom and spread evenly.
3. Put a layer of eggplant (largest rounds).
4. Cover with a little bit of sauce, some grated Parmigiano, some grated mozzarella and some fresh basil chiffonade.
5. Add another layer of eggplant, then sauce, then the cheeses and basil
6. Continue until all ingredients are finished. Do not put basil on top, but reserve some for later.
7. Place in oven for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling up the sides. You can brown under broiler for the last couple minutes if desired.
8. Top with fresh basil and serve.