- Preparation Time:
Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 50 Mins
There are about a trillion ways to prepare a potato, and last night I just couldn’t decide. I wanted mashed potatoes, but I also felt like a baked potato. I was completely torn, so I figured, what the heck, I’ll make both… at the SAME TIME!! Muahahahahaha!!!
Now this is just a suggested seasoning. You could really do anything to these things and they would taste good. Add some cheese, some chives, or sour cream in classic baked potato style. You could add some cinnamon and nutmeg to the sweet potato. Or how about chili powder and cayenne to make it a little spicy. The world is your oyster… or should I say, potato.
6 Strips Maple Leaf Hearty Slice Bacon
4 Sweet Potatoes
3 tbsp Butter
3 tsp Cumin
1 tbsp Grated Ginger
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil for coating potatoes.
1. Give your potatoes a scrub and coat them in olive oil. Whack them in the oven at 400F for about 40-50 minutes, or until they are soft. This will depend on the size of the potato. If you cut into the potato and notice it’s still raw in the centre, don’t worry. Just throw it back in the oven, cut side down.
2. While your potatoes are doing their thing, fry up your strips of bacon. Again, I cut it up into pieces before I fry it to make my life easy.
3. Once your potatoes are soft, cut them in half and scoop out the centres into a bowl, leaving about ¼” of flesh around the skin. Be careful, sweet potato skin is tender. Be gentle.
4. Mash up your sweet potato and mix in your butter, cumin, grated ginger and salt and pepper (or whatever spices and seasonings you chose). Don’t forget to add in your bacon, too! I used a stand mixer with a paddle attachment to whip the potatoes. Made my life super simple. Saving my muscles for things more strenuous.
5. Grab your mash mixture and fill it back into the shells. I like to overfill the shells, so I was only able to fill 6 of the 8 halves.
6. Whack these back into the oven at 425F for 10-15 minutes, or until they’re hot and slightly crisp on the outside! If you wanted to add some cheese, I’d do it before you put them back in the oven. Give you a nice, gooey top
7. Chow down.