- Preparation Time:
Prep Time 2 mins Cook Time: 15 mins
We’ve all been in this situation. It’s 7:30pm and you’re starving. You look in your fridge and all you see is a head of broccoli and a package of Maple Leaf bacon (because you should ALWAYS have bacon). So you figure, there’s no time to cook and what the heck are you gonna make with just bacon and broccoli? By the time you go to the grocery store, come back home, and prepare a regular meal, it will be 10:00pm. So you pick up the phone and order a pizza. WRONG! If you do this right, you can cook this delectable pasta dish in the amount of time it takes you to actually cook the pasta – about 15 minutes! That’s way faster than any pizza delivery…
1 head Broccoli
5 strips Maple Leaf Bacon
2 cloves Garlic
1 tsp Chili Flakes
¼ cup Grated Parmigano Reggiano
1. Put a pot of water on to boil. We don’t want to have to be waiting for this later. Remember, we’re starving, right?
2. Cut your broccoli into little flouretes. They don’t have to be too small. We’re going to boil the heck out of them later and everything will pretty much disintegrate and become part of a delicious quasi-sauce anyway.
3. Throw your broccoli into the pot of boiling water. Once the water comes back to a rolling boil, add in your pasta and cook according to package instructions. We don’t have to use another pot. That’s just more cleaning work later! And nobody likes to do the dishes.
4. While your broccoli and pasta are doing their thing. Fry up your bacon that you’ve cut into 1” pieces.
5. Once it’s almost crispy, chop up your two heads of garlic and throw it in with the bacon. Add in your chilli flakes, as well. Continue to fry until the bacon is crispy and the garlic has slightly browned.
6. Strain your pasta and broccoli in a fine mesh strainer, and dump everything back in the pot. Dump the bacon and garlic, including all of that lovely rendered fat, over the pasta. Stir to coat. Add your cheese and continue to stir.
7. It’s now been like 17minutes from start to finish and you’re already chowing down on some delicious pasta. Pizza what?