- Preparation Time:
Prep Time: 30 minutes (marinating) Cook Time: 10 mins
When I was living with my parents, we would frequently visit the local Greek restaurant. Love the food, love the flavours. I haven’t been back in a remarkably long time and I was craving a nice big souvlaki on a pita. So I fired up the grill and made one for myself – and boy was it good. Adding bacon to this sandwich kind of made it like a grilled chicken club or BLT, minus the lettuce. But go right ahead and throw lettuce on it if you want. Nobody’s stopping you! Tell me what you think about my chicken souvlaki recipe. If you aren’t a huge Greek eating fan. Try my Cheese Steak Sandwich Recipe!
8 strips Maple Leaf Bacon
2 Maple Leaf Prime Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1/3 cup Greek Yogurt
1 tbsp Dried Oregano
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
2 cloves Garlic, minced
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 Tomato, diced
1 Red onion, diced
4 tbsp Tzatziki
4 Greek Pitas
Makes 4 Souvlaki Sandwiches
1. Grab your chicken breasts and cut them up into large cubes. Use a nice sharp knife, it will minimize injury and create cleaner pieces.
2. Add in all the ingredients from the yogurt to the lemon juice and mix it all up. The consistency should still be creamy. If it’s too liquidy, add a bit more yogurt. Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper!
3. Let the chicken breasts marinate for at least 30minutes before you put them on skewers. Two breasts should make about four skewers.
4. Cook up the skewers on a nice hot grill. If you don’t have a grill, you can cook them in a pan with a touch of olive oil or under the broiler. But if you have a grill, use the grill. Don’t forget to wipe down and oil the grates, or else the chicken will stick severely.
5. Plop down and spread around a table spoon of tzatziki, a few diced onions, a few diced tomatoes and a couple strips of crispy bacon.
6. And your delectable grilled chicken and roll’er up. Notice I’m using Greek pitas. They’re thicker and don’t have a pocket. Gotta keep it traditional, here.
7. I recommend toasting your pita in the oven before you fill it. Just adds another texture and brings out the flavour of the bread.